Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Land of Smiles.

Thailand. I can't remember ever feeling so relaxed amongst organized chaos. Things just seem to work themselves out. We've been here a little over a week, and all the knots in my back are gone. Maybe its all the smiling, the sunshine, the time in the water. Maybe its the crazy contortion our Thai Masseuse put us through (one moment she's massaging my back, the next she has me in a backwards pretzel, her feet next to my crotch, somehow using her tiny body to crack every vertebrate I own). The openness of Thailand may be best summed up by the Thai woman who runs the breakfast shop next to our dive shop. At 8am, she greets everyone with the same enthusiastic smile as she does at 10pm at night. Happiness seeps out of her pores, and it is incredibly contagious.

When we arrived on Kao Phangnyan (the island we are currently on), we thought we would have to figure out what beach to go to to find accommodation. Not so. As soon as we got off the boat, swarms of offers engulfed us. One man came over, showed some rooms in the $30/night range (much to much for our taste). I told him "no thanks, we're looking for something cheaper". Immediately, he raises his hand and yells out "Cheap!!!". Within seconds, three women are surrounding me calmly offering rooms for $9 to $15 per night. Next we thing know, we're on a cheap taxi heading to a beautiful resort where we end up with air conditioning and a hot water shower (Jenn and I were beside ourselves with excitement). Thailand is amazing. Everything really does work itself out, although we're still not getting on the back of a motorcycle.

1 comment:

  1. Tyson - I cannot agree with you more! Thailand, with its wonderful smiling people, Bhuddist culture, delicious and cheap food and beautiful beaches, is probably my favorite country in the world. I'm so glad that you and Jenn are getting to experience it. Get as many Thai massages as possible! Are they still just $5?

    ReplyDelete